The holidays are a time to indulge, absolutely! A little of this and a little of that, sure, but did you know that the average Thanksgiving meal totals about 4,500 calories and over two hundred grams of fat?! Shockingly, it’s true! Don’t you dare skip out on the fun – you can still enjoy your tasty turkey, beloved potatoes, and precious pie, in fact you should! In true Thanksgiving fashion, I give you these tips to burn it off, move it out, bounce back to balance, and regain your sanity!
1. Sign up for a local Turkey Trot, a popular pre-feast 5k in various towns across the country. If you’re in the Hamptons, Montauk it is! If you don’t have a local trot, pick a playlist that fills you with energy and gratitude and head out for a run around your neighborhood. Even a couple of miles will rev your metabolism, get your endorphins going, and burn off a piece of pie. That “runner’s high” just may empower you to make better food choices all day long!
2. If you’re not going to trot, find a class. Luckily, you’re not the only one seeking a turkey day workout, so dedicate an hour to sweating before the cooking. Here are some of the many options:
- Join Rachel at Exhale Bridgehampton at 8:10, 9:25, or 10:35am
- Take 90 Minute Spin at Sag Harbor Gym 8am with Kerrie, John, and Cindy
- Jim’s at Truth Training in East Hampton at 9:30am
- LTB with Patti at Pure Barre Southampton at 9:30am
- Jessy’s teaching open yoga 8:15 Friday at KamaDeva
- Surf it off with Emma Friday 8am at Well Within
- You can find Rachelle teaching at Flywheel at 8:30am
- Turkey TRX with Linda at 8:45 Thurs and Fri. Gain some peace of mind at Silich Core + Strength in EH for Indo Board Yoga with Evelyn at 9:45 Fri.) ‘Tis the season for giving and Silich is offering unlimited classes for $200 thru Dec. 31, free yoga when you purchase 1 TRX class, and sales on personal training, gift bundles, gift cards, & youth packages!
3. Walk it off. Instead of settling on the couch after your big meal, why not take a family walk? Leash the dog, rally the crew, bundle up, and take a spin around the neighborhood. Walking is the best non-workout workout because you can literally do it wherever you are (no excuses!) Your stroll will aid digestion, produce endorphins, and give you an opportunity to enjoy nature with loved ones.
4. Hit the yoga mat for a morning flow. As much fun as family holidays can be, sometimes they can get a little chaotic and stressful too. Anyone have that kinda family? Thought so. Yoga practice will get your body moving and your mind centered for the days events.
One Healthy Breakdown: wherever, whenever, however, just MOVE and give thanks for what our bodies can do for us!