‘Tis the season of endless barbecues, pool parties, ice cream cones, and of course, #roséallday. So, how do we stay healthy, feel balanced, enjoy ourselves, and fit into those white skinny jeans through it all?! Here’s how to stay healthy and feel good throughout BBQ season:
1. Focus on what’s off the grille, not what’s on it. While the main attraction of a summer BBQ may be the food, focus on the company instead. Soak up the friends, family, sunshine, outdoor activities and you’re sure to make lasting memories that go far beyond the bites.
2. Have a snack before. Showing up to a BBQ, party, or restaurant starving is not the way to go; you’ll actually be far more likely to overeat. Leaving the house hungry is not going to save you calories, it’s actually going to cause your blood sugar to crash and then spike, inhibiting your judgement and control. Instead, calm your hunger by having a small snack before you leave the house: a piece of fruit, a small salad, or some nuts will do. the trick.
3. Load up on the good stuff. Whether you’re grilling at home or heading out, there’s never an excuse to skip the fruit and veggies. Fill your plate with at least half veggies and lean protein, like chicken or fish (or an occasional burger or hot dog.) If you’re grilling or planning the menu, add tons of fresh seasonal veggies; click here for some ideas and recipes. Even broccoli, romaine lettuce, and green beans taste better on the grille, so get creative and veg out!
4. BYOF. Bring your own food. If you bring at least one healthy dish, there will be at least one healthy dish for you to eat. Simple as that.
5. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Although it can be tough to remember to drink water if it’s not right in front of you, as the rosé, beer, and soda may be, remember that staying hydrated will not only make you feel better, but will also help you to make better choices. So, scout out the water and sip throughout the day, between cocktails, and before bed to ensure you stay hydrated.
One Healthy Breakdown: healthy BBQ = healthy summer