This breakfast recipe is not only easy and healthy, but also clearly the epitome of fall. Autumn is surely the season for all things pumpkin spice and apple cinnamon. Breakfast should fuel your day with long-lasting energy and deliciousness. Check and check. Let’s dig in, shall we?!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk or water (or milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 apple chopped or 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds) chopped walnuts, or pecans
Add oats to liquid in pot on stove on medium heat. Once oats begin to cook and thicken, turn heat to low and add all other ingredients. Stir and finish cooking (should take about 5-8 minutes.) Once the oatmeal is thick, remove from heat and let cool a minute before serving. Feel free to top oatmeal (just for visual appeal) with apple slices and cinnamon, more pumpkin, sprinkled nuts, or nothing at all. Enjoy this hearty fall-flavored meal!
One Healthy Breakdown: fueling with fall foods.