The return of my home gym has me feeling extra appreciative and motivated after quite a few weeks of withdrawal. It took some major accountability to maintain a regular workout schedule, but it was more than doable. Summer calls for beach days, barbecues, and rosé…all day…right?! So how do you stay motivated to work out and eat relatively healthy with all of this fun and temptation? It’s all about balance and accountability. Here are some top tips for staying accountable all summer long:
- Schedule, plan, and make your healthy choices a non-negotiable party of your life. Fit in a workout before the beach, (or run at the beach!) barbecue, party, and rosé. You’ll feel so much better enjoying the fun times if you balance them out with healthy choices. Staying on top of it also allows for some ‘wiggle room’ when you want that ice cream cone, glass of wine, or burger.
- Try something new. While having a fitness routine is great, switching it up and trying new things is even better. Along with muscle confusion and the physical benefits of variety, it also helps to keep motivation high. There are countless fitness classes around the Hamptons, especially in the summer, so try a few and find some new ones you love! It’s MUCH easier to get to a class you love (even on a perfect beach day) and showing up is half the battle!
- Make it fun. Eating healthy is not boring. In fact, it can be fun and pretty! Take advantage of in season fruits and vegetables and experiment with fun ways to prepare them, like grilling or making ice pops, smoothies, or skewers…Bon appetit to that!
- Challenge yourself by setting goals. No matter how big or small your goals are, make them clear, make them your own, and plan out the necessary steps you need to take to reach them. With a positive attitude, you’ll be achieving your goals and living your dream life in no time!
- Think outside the box (aka gym.) Do an at-home workout, youtube workout, or, even better, go for a walk or run outside. Take advantage of the warm weather and gorgeous surroundings while you soak up some Vitamin D and fresh air for a win-win!
- Keep track. For some people, keeping a food and/or exercise log can be extremely effective. The practice of writing down what you eat can make you more aware of mindless munching. For others, it’s infeasible to keep a food journal, (and that’s ok!) but keeping track of your exercise or checking your workout off when you’re done can be extra rewarding.
- Buddy Up. Even with all of these strategies, it still gets tough to hold yourself accountable each and every day. That’s why we have workout buddies! Thankfully, when I’m feeling lazy, I’ll get a text from a friend “workout?” or “spin at 4:30?” and that’s all the motivation I need to commit. Be sure to make some workout buddies and be a workout buddy yourself, the more the merrier!
One Healthy Breakdown: No one said it was going to be easy, but it sure is going to be worth it, stay accountable this summer!
One thought on “Let’s Talk Accountability”
Comments are closed.